Plans, organizes, administers and evaluates comprehensive nursing care in accordance with hospital and department policies, procedures, regulatory requirements and standards of care and directs nursing care activities of team members to ensure excellent care is provided to all patients.
- Graduate of an accredited School of Nursing program
- One year of Clinical Nursing experience
- Registered Nurse by the State of Florida
- Certification in CPR
- Assessment: Does admission and ongoing assessment of patient’s condition. Provides nursing care to meet the patient’s physical, psychological and spiritual needs. Notifies doctor of changes in assessment that require attention.
- Planning: Designs, directs, evaluates and documents the plan of care, patient/family teaching and preliminary discharge planning to ensure that all aspects of the patient’s stay are addressed in a professional manner. Works with other clinical disciplines to meet specialized patient care and discharge needs.
- Implementation: Prepares patients physically and psychologically for treatments, surgeries and diagnostic studies to help reduce patient anxiety. Knows patients’ conditions and reports significant changes to Charge Nurse and/or physician. Transcribes or verifies transcription by others physician orders and is responsible for seeing these orders are carried out. Follows infection control policies in all aspects of care. Starts and maintains intravenous infusions, including the administration of IV medications. Administers medications and notes patients’ reactions. Follows policy, procedure and standards of hospital and department. Floats to other areas as necessary for patient safety. Demonstrates understanding of department-specific equipment (i.e., safe use, requisitions, troubleshooting). Initiates falls prevention, wound and other programs and protocols as indicated by assessment findings.
- Patient Care: Monitors patient, recognizing and intervening appropriately to changes; notes patient response and completes all required documentation. Demonstrates skills and knowledge to work safely with chest tubes; other surgical drains/tubes; orthopedic specific equipment (Buck’s tx; over bed frame and trapeze; CPMs) and urological equipment (CBI). Reviews vaccine administration, anticoagulant, isolation & Foley catheter lists for compliance. Evaluates patients who have sitters and/or restraints for continued need. Makes assignments to team members according to their experience, abilities and the patient acuities.
- Evaluation: Reassesses patients at appropriate intervals following interventions. Notifies physician as necessary to modify interventions. Adjusts nursing care to meet patient’s emerging and changing needs.
- Environment & Patient Safety: Maintains patient and work environment to maximize safe working space. Promptly removes all used and soiled equipment, linen, etc. to appropriate location. Reports all patient safety and hazard concerns immediately. Responds & delegates appropriately during all hospital codes, disasters.
- Documentation: Documents response to treatments, medications, therapies and teaching to assure that patient’s records are up-to-date. Maintains accurate and complete records of nursing observations and care to ensure accurate documentation of said observations. Maintains accurate documentation of interventions and supplies used. Completes and documents chart checks to comply with current policy.
- Report Skills: Gives and receives report at the bedside. Provides an accurate and comprehensive report to the oncoming shift to help establish continuity of patient care. Receives report from off-going shift and delegates tasks as needed to provide continuity of care according to coworker’s experience, abilities and the patient’s acuity.
- Privacy: Assures privacy of all patient information to protect patient rights and meet HIPPA guidelines. Reports suspected violations immediately.
- License and Competency: Maintains RN license to adhere to Florida Board of Nursing Guidelines and serve the organization in a licensed capacity. Takes responsibility for meeting competency requirements. Assists with the orientation of new employees and floated staff as requested and assigned.
- Supplies: Maintains accurate documentation of charges and supplies used to ensure adequate supply replacement and efficient use of allocated funds.
- Equipment and Rooms: Makes bed assignments within 15 minutes of notification by transfer center. Removes used linen, trash and discontinued equipment from patient rooms and hallways.
- Meeting/In-service Attendance: Attends in-services and workshops and reads current journals to keep abreast of new developments in the medical and nursing fields. Attends six unit meetings per year, all mandatory in-services, and completes annual competencies. Attends other meetings as designated by Director.
- Time Management: Clocks in and out according to policy to ensure work is started and completed on time and to lead by example. Obtains Director/designee/House Supervisor approval before working overtime shifts.
- Performs other duties as assigned